7/20/2006

Senator Andrew Moore, aka Grandpa

I'm in the midst of reading Mayflower, by Nathaniel Philbrick (very gripping, btw), and it's gotten me interested in my own colonial family history.

Many of us have colonial ancestory stories, to be sure, although most are not historically proven. One of forebearers that is pretty well documented is my great-great-great-great-grandfather, General Andrew Moore (1752 - 1821). He was my maternal grandmother's grandfather's grandfather, and was one of the first House reps for the Commonwealth of Virginia. He went on to serve as a U.S. Senator from Virginia between 1799-1804 (though not concurrently), and finally served as the U.S. marshall for Virginia until his death in 1821.

He was a captain in the American Revolution, and served alongside George Washington, who subsequently granted Moore a bunch of land in southwestern Virginia (and what later became West Virginia). Unfortunately, that land is not mine now. Not that I'm bitter. Grrr....

Anywho, as a young man he went on an expedition to the West Indies and was shipwrecked. He and his companions survived on a diet of lizard until their rescue. (This is documented in some history books, and really, could I make something that bizarre up?)

His gravestone, in Lexington, Virginia, reads: "A soldier of the Revolution. A member of the first U. S. Congress. The first senator west of the Blue Ridge. A member of the convention that ratified the Constitution of the United States, and a marshall of Virginia for twenty years."

You can check out his Congressional biography here.

Pretty cool stuff. Do you have any famous (or infamous) relatives?

4 comments:

SDCrawford said...

I'm related to Cheif Justice John Marshall from my mother's side.

Jane said...

Emily Dickinson is a distant cousin.

Anonymous said...

My last name is also Moore and from what i gather i am also a direct grandson of Andrew Moore.My dads brother is named after David B. Moore whom was in the Confederate Army and fought along side General Lee.David B.Moore was the last surviver in West Virginia of the Civil War and died May 1 ,1936 in Russellville Wv. at age 98.

Anonymous said...

Your ancestor was an in-law of my ancestor. I've been trying to find the name of Gen. Andrew Moore's wife. The Congressional Bio link hasn't worked on 3 websites. Do you happen to know her name? catgod52@yahoo.com