6/01/2005

One year in DC...whoa that was fast!

Well, it's been a little over a year since Jenny and I left San Francisco/Oakland for the Washington DC metro area. Amazing. Time really, really flies now. The Bay Area is really much better to visit than to live in, if you ask me. (Nobody did, but what the hell, it's our blog, so....) Still, it's got me into a little reflection mode about what I miss and don't miss about living in the Bay Area.

What I don't miss: lots of things that really begin and end with the $700,000+ housing prices....

Now, what I miss:

EBOT soccer. It's been a serious pain in the ass finding non-competitive soccer out here. I miss my EBOT family and the weekly chance to score goles.
The wine country. Man, do I miss this one. Livermore Valley, I barely knew ye!
Friends. Obviously. Although almost all of them have moved out of the Bay Area already due to the factors listed above.

We are much happier in DC. It was a nervewracking decision to pull up stakes after a decade of S.F. area living (an average of Jenny's and my time in the area), but we're convinced we made the right one. I just don't see how people get ahead of the game out there.... Here in DC we've got a house, upcoming baby, jobs, family...all is good. It's been a hell of a year. For us, it was the right choice.

1 comment:

Gabe said...

glad to hear you guys are happier on this coast! it is much easier lifestyle, isn't it? and man, time really flies... i can't believe jen and i have been in saratoga more than a year-and-a-half now! but life is good.

i miss friends, family, the ocean, the bridges, bay to breakers.

i don't miss the cost, the not being able to buy a house, the crowds, the traffic, the crackheads who try to break into our house, etc.