1/11/2005

Scary


scary
Originally uploaded by Xose.
This summer Jenny and I went out to Deep Creek Lake in western Maryland for a weekend, and on the way we passed Burkettsville, MD, which was the setting of The Blair Witch Project. That got us thinking about the movie, so Jenny put it on our Netflix list when we got home.

We have an inordinately long Netflix queue, so the movie just arrived yesterday, and we watched it again last night.

Anyone who tells you that this movie isn't scary is either lying or has never been alone in the woods at night.

I'm not talking about being in a crowded camping area or state park at night, I'm talking about 2 a.m. in the open woods, miles away from anyone (you hope) and anything (you REALLY hope).

It's easy to sit here in the light of day in a comfy office and pooh-pooh the idea of the woods being scary, but when you can only see about 50 feet into the pitch black darkness and it's so quiet that you can hear EVERY SINGLE twig snapping in a 100 yard radius around your what-now-seems-completely defenseless campsite (with only about 2mm of nylon rip-stop between you and the encroaching claws and fangs of god-knows-what), it's pretty effing scary.

I wish all scary movies could stir up that kind of primal fear....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely, totally and unashamedly admit to converting to bona-fide City Girl. I do not wish to go out in "woods", "fields" or "brush" beyond the slightly sanitized versions one finds in city parks. Not that forests are bad. I'm all for saving our natural wilderness. I'm just saying they are not a recreation for me, primarily because I would have to purchase bug spray.
I remember watching BWP and thinking, "If I could just see a parking lot... A beautiful parking lot, I would know it's going to be ok".

Suzi the City Girl (if one can call Columbus a City)